Vegan mozzarella alternative with Mestemacher Organic OAT BREAD
Preparation: 3 hours
Maturing time: 1 Day
Preparation: 20 minutes
Ingredients for 2 glasses of mozzarella:
For the mozzarella:
- 200 g cashews
- 300 g soya yoghurt (unsweetened)
- 2 tsp salt
- 4 tbsp. tapioca starch
- 10 g agar-agar
For the sandwiches:
- 5 cocktail tomatoes, diced
- 1 beef tomato, sliced
- 2 slices Mestemacher Organic OAT BREAD
- 1 tsp. lavender flowers for garnishing
- 4 stalks of parsley, finely chopped for garnishing
- Soak cashews in plenty of water for about 2-3 h, then drain.
- Place the soya yoghurt, cashews, 120 ml water and salt in a blender and puree thoroughly. Pour into a bowl, cover with a plate and put aside to “mature” for 24 h at room temperature. Once the mixture smells sour and cheesy, stir in the tapioca starch and agar-agar, using a whisk.
- Add the cashew-yoghurt mix to the saucepan and bring to the boil. Turn the heat to medium and simmer for 5-8 minutes, stirring constantly, until you have a very thick mixture.
- Prepare a bowl with ice water. Using any kind of spoon, gradually remove the mozzarella balls from the pot and carefully place them in the ice water. Put aside for 30 minutes, then store in salt water (21 g salt per 700 ml water) in the fridge.
- For the sandwiches, place the tomatoes and mozzarella between the sandwiches and garnish with parsley and lavender flowers.
Tip: The mozzarella will stay fresh in the fridge for approx. 3 days.