Sushi with avocado, pumpernickel and chives
- 250 grams of sushi rice
- 20 ml rice vinegar
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. sugar
- 2 slices of Mestemacher Westphalian pumpernickel
- 1 avocado
- 100 grams of cream cheese
- 1 bunch of chives, finely chopped
- some parsley, finely chopped
- Put the rice in a sieve and wash until the water is no longer milky. Drain the rice well and then place in a pot with a lid and 250 ml of water. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes at low heat. Then cover and allow to steep for 10 minutes.
- Place the cooked rice in a glass bowl. Dissolve the sugar and salt in rice vinegar, pour the vinegar over the rice and mix well. Then let the rice cool down.
- Cut the pumpernickel into strips. Remove the avocado from the pip, peel and cut into strips. Mix the cream cheese with parsley and a handful of chives and season with salt and pepper.
- Wrap a sushi mat with cling film. Using wet hands, spread the rice over the mat to form a rectangular surface. Place a row of pumpernickel in the middle. Coat the pumpernickel with cream cheese. Place the avocado strips on top.
- Use the mat to form a roll. Leave to cool. To serve, cut open and roll each piece of sushi in the chopped chives.
Photo credits: Susanne Brauer