Nigiri sushi with salmon and pumpernickel-onion topping
- 250 grams of sushi rice
- 20 ml rice vinegar
- 1 tsp. salt
- ½ tsp. sugar
- 200 grams of smoked salmon
- 2 slices of Mestemacher Westphalian pumpernickel
- 1 onion
- Put the rice in a sieve and wash until the water is no longer milky. Drain the rice well and then place in a pot with a lid and 250 ml of water. Bring to a boil. Simmer for 10 minutes at low heat. Then cover and allow to steep for 10 minutes.
- Place the cooked rice in a glass bowl. Dissolve the sugar and salt in rice vinegar, pour the vinegar over the rice and mix well. Then let the rice cool down.
- Form finger-length rolls by hand. Cut the salmon into strips and place them on the rice rolls.
- Finely dice the pumpernickel and the onion. Heat the oil in a pan and fry both in it. Place the pumpernickel topping on the nigiri sushi and serve.
Photo credits: Susanne Brauer